Supporting Our Youth in the Fight Against Bullying
Arming Those In Need With Knowledge & Skills
Our team of instructors at EnergyFIT teach our younger generations with a rock solid foundation rooted in Respect, Discipline, and Competitive Spirit. The process of learning the martial art form of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), combined with the family-friendly positive atmosphere upheld in our training facility, positions kids to be raised up with strength and purpose… to be leaders in the fight against bullying.
Here are some eye-opening stats that should cause all adults to step back and re-think what can be done to better support our youth who struggle with being bullied:
- Almost one out of every four students (22%) report being bullied during the school year. (National Center for Educational Statistics, 2015)
- Students who experience bullying are at increased risk for poor school adjustment, sleep difficulties, anxiety, and depression. (Center for Disease Control, 2015)
- Children who engage in bullying behavior are at increased risk for academic problems, substance use, and violent behavior later in adolescence and adulthood. (Center for Disease Control, 2015)
- 64 percent of children who were bullied did not report it; only 36 percent reported the bullying. (Petrosina, Guckenburg, DeVoe, and Hanson, 2010)
- More than half of bullying situations (57 percent) stop when a peer intervenes on behalf of the student being bullied. (Hawkins, Pepler, and Craig, 2001)
What Can Be Done to Help Kids Deal With Bullying?
It starts with leadership at home from parents and also adults who are positive role models. Merge that with a support system in an active environment where kids can learn a martial art form like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) which is outstanding for self-defense. Our primary BJJ Kids program excels at techniques which enable smaller individuals to defend themselves against larger opponents through the use of intelligence, technique and leverage.
With every training session, every opportunity to learn from their instructors and interact with peers, we are building up our kids mentally and physically. We welcome all students with open arms, all experience levels, even as young as 3 years old!
At EnergyFIT, we live to prove out the mission of training up the next generation of leaders and are truly thankful and honored to play a role in their lives to show them positive examples and role models who “walk the walk” in foundational principles of Respect, Discipline, and Competitive Spirit. Thank you for your attention and taking the time to read this. Please help spread the word about what BJJ can do for our youth. And reach out to us anytime, please stop in to our gym to meet the team and try out one of our classes!